This house of worship was originally one of Boyne City's earliest schools. When it opened in 1879, the area was known as South Boyne, and the teacher, Miss Annie Cooper, had 60 students.
Due to growth in the area, the larger schoolhouse was sold to a church when a larger school was needed. Since then, the building has served a variety of religious congregations.
Episcopal Church of the Nativity founded in 1985, celebrated its first service at Christmas that year in the home of the Honorable Harvey and Genevieve Varnum. The current building was purchased in 1993 by the small congregation, who continue to work hard to make the space warm and inviting, and to serve God in this community.